Lesedi HR Spectrograph (name TBD)
Lesedi HRS Project Wiki
- This wiki is for construction of a high-resolution spectrograph on the 1-m Lesedi telescope in Sutherland. We anticipate future wikis for the user manual and for technical support.
- The SAAO and Christian Schwab (Macquarie Univ. and AAO) are collaborating on the project.
- The instrument is based on a design that Christian modified from NEID, an innovative HRS for use on the 3.5-m WIYN (https://neid.psu.edu/). We are hoping to reach a few m/sec accuracies for radial velocity measurements on Lesedi.
Remote Expert & Collaborator: Christian Schwab (Macquarie U./AAO)
Instrument PI: Hannah Worters
Project Sponsor/Co-I: Amanda Sickafoose
Co-Is/Postdocs/Student: Nic Erasmus, others?
Local Expert Consultant: Lisa Crause
Mechanical Design:James O'Connor (oversight), Egan Loubser, Craig Sass
Software Engineers: Carel van Gend, Briehan Lombaard
- Add notes from Christian's emails here
- Rough purchasing list from Chris' visit 03/2018. He can likely supply the prism, collimator, and fiber injection:
$35k bench optics $55k Echelle grating $3k fiber injection optics $30k collimator/ADC/refocus mechanism
- We have gone through the SAAO CCD store, and there are 5 engineering CCDs from SALTICAM and RSS (e2V 44-82, 1k x 2k) that can be considered:
|Serial No.||Coating||Failure||QE (350,400,500,650,900,1000 nm)||Located|
|01394-08-01||astrobroadband||fullwell 129k (vs. 150)||54,70,78,75,45,10||??|
|01394-21-01||coated||CTE 99.9985||16,39,65,97,60,13||in lab|
|01451-16-02||coated||CTE 99.977||13,35,68,86,54,10||in lab|
|01502-15-01||coated||low level structure @ 350nm||15,44,27,75,60,13||in lab|
|04484-03-02||AR coated||low QE (3%) at 400 nm||41,67,80,80,53,10||in lab|